Was this childish foolishness gone wrong or something more sinister?
At 10:15pm (2215) passers by raised the alarm on spotting a fance alight in Northdown Park Road, Margate. The fence which belongs to Leleham Gap School was well alight and several buckets of water (and the need of a passing young man to urinate) were needed to bring an end to what could have been a very nasty fire.
This reporter and his uncle were passing the school when we noticed the flames. With the help of a passing motorist and some local neighbours the fire was soon damped down and the fire brigade in attendance.
We left the professionals to do their job but could not help but speculate on who might have lit the fire and why.
Was it board kids or something worse? Hopefully we will never know and this will be the last of it.
The fire brigade should be praised on arriving at the scene so quickly. It is good to know that our fire service are so prompt in their response. Well done lads.