Thanet Star

Can you do better?

Thanet Star logo

Can you do better at design than Me?

One thing that I have always told my development clients is that I am not a designer I am an engineer and if they would like top level design then they will need to pay for a designer. Judging by the very small smattering of comments on site one could be forgiven for thinking that the new design was without merit.

This is a design that was put in front of a fair few folk with largely positive feedback.

However not being one to pass by an opportunity to let the readers get involved I bring you not one but three different ways that you can help "improve" the Thanet Star design.

Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is?

1. Save us from a shocking logo by supplying us with a great one. This earns you bragging rights on the logo design. You might want to be quick though as the designs have already started coming in.

2. Download the stylesheet and colourise, layout, resize and generally be cool with the look of the site and then email it to me so I can see it in action. Good and great redesigns will be considered for use in the final product. Again you get bragging rights.

3. Take the survey which gives you the chance to offer some design specific feedback.

Let us see who is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Think you can do better? · read more items categorised Thanet · Don't miss a thing: Subscribe Today · Help: what's a feed? · This site is operated on set principles of policy and disclosure read them here

Public Comments

This Normal comment was left by Peter Checksfield [score: 0]:

Why does anyone need to do that when blogger have many perfectly designed templates that aren't flooded with ads and gimmicks, and where people don't have to login specifically for one site? Try it for yourself, you might be impressed.
29/11/2013 11:32:19

This Informative Normal comment was left by Matt B [score: 3]:

Just because a lot of people are doing the same thing is no reason to do likewise? Hundreds of thousands of people commit drug related crime each each but I'm not going to start selling smack on the street corner.

But seriously, Peter, I am not inclined to blindly follow the crowd. If I was then I would simply blog about my hobbies and vote for whomever I am told to vote for. If Blogger floats your boat then good for you. I felt that I outgrew that particular platform years ago as I found it too limited. Horses for courses as they say

If you don't feel you have anything constructive to contribute this time round then that is perfectly okay and I understand that your gifting might not be in this area - mine's not. There may be other times when you can demonstrate your talents.
29/11/2013 11:42:59

This Normal comment was left by Joe [score: 0]:

Matt, I appreciate you engaging, but why would anyone want to fiddle with your css and design your logo "for bragging rights"? As you say, website design is a skilled job, so why would anyone want to donate their time to do yours? Offer some proper money and people might actually do it.
29/11/2013 13:24:18

This Insightful Golden comment was left by Matt B [score: 4]:

The world can be divided into two groups. Those that bitch and moan and complain and criticize because they are insecure and those that afterward offer to help because they are great. I wanted to offer a fair chance for the complainers to show which they are.
29/11/2013 13:57:04

This Normal comment was left by y.ahoo.it [score: 0]:

[Naughty IP: 192.119.148.197] This paragraph will help the internet people for building up
new webpage or even a blog from start to end.
29/11/2013 14:54:22

This Unhelpful Hidden comment was left by David [score: -6]:

29/11/2013 15:27:35

This Normal comment was left by Dexter du Vane [score: 0]:

Soooo easy!
Just go back to the old one but loose the big picture with the hat. Leave the big portraits to that local councillor with a media whoring problem
29/11/2013 15:50:04

This Off Topic Hidden comment was left by Way Better :) [score: -7]:

29/11/2013 16:13:05

This Funny Normal comment was left by Peter Checksfield [score: 1]:

The next time anyone criticises my photography I'm going to just tell them to photograph a model themselves then post the results. Great thinking Matt! ; )
29/11/2013 16:42:44

This Normal comment was left by David [score: 0]:

Peter, alternatively you can learn by it. As long as it's not done in a nasty way, criticism is the best help any creative person can have.
29/11/2013 17:19:28

This Normal comment was left by Matt B [score: 0]:

Thank you Peter. I knew you would understand. After all a plumber does not take advice from a brick layer so why would any artist or engineer take advice from someone not able to actually do the thing they are advising over?
30/11/2013 11:14:33

This Normal comment was left by Peter Checksfield [score: 0]:

But the plumber wouldn't ask the bricklayer in the first place. You asked OUR opinion Matt, and most (or all) these people have experience of blogs.

I agree with David. I wouldn't know much about photography without listening to my critics, regardless of whether or not they too are photographers. As with websites, it's what pleases the eye. So all opinions count.
30/11/2013 12:57:12

This Normal comment was left by James TC [score: 0]:

Matt you've already got my feedback on this.

David there are two types of criticism. Constructive and Destructive.

Constructive criticism clearly aims to build up, improve and enhance. It is typified by a balance of acknowledgement of the good and pointing out the weak often with suggestions on how the weaker areas can be made better. For an example of constructive criticism see my earlier comment on the introduction of the new look.

Destructive criticism just slags off whatever the critic is having a dig at. It often strays into personal attacks and is typified by sentiments like "this is shit" and "why don't you give up". For example a destructive criticism would be "why don't you use blogger or wordpress instead of this crap". (Actually I like this site so don't dump it for some sheeple edition).

I see very little of the former and very much of the later. The later almost any creative person can very much live without.
30/11/2013 13:01:34

This Unhelpful Hidden comment was left by Way Better :) [score: -2]:

02/12/2013 04:43:55

This Normal comment was left by Matt B [score: 0]:

Thanks James. I've got your email and I hope you have my reply.
05/12/2013 18:32:48
This item is closed, it's not possible to add new comments to it or to vote on it

Please note that while email addresses may be given via this form they are not shown to anyone but the editors and post author.

If you have a blog or other website of your own leaving a link so we can visit you too.

Help us remove these Ads.
Byte Sized

Hyper-localism

For those interested in blogging local news in and arround the UK this BBC article from last year is sure to be of interest.

General
Byte Sized

Did you know?

Margate was the first seaside resort to introduce deck chairs way back in 1898.

Facts
Byte Sized

Did you know

MP Roger Gail (Thanet North) wanted to increase VAT

Facts
Byte Sized

Did you know

MP Roger Gale (Thanet North) has never voted on measures to reduce tax avoidance

Facts
Byte Sized

Too popular

On Wednesday 28th May the article The staggering truth about Gloag's Manston deal was so popular that it was briefly unreachable as the server could not supply pages fast enough.

Facts